The Trembling, Monster, a love letter to my spine in which I become transparent to myself.
Drawing. digital drawing, 29.7 x 42.0 cm, 2019
“The Ethics of Vulnerability and Artistic Research” Maziar Raein
‘There was truth and there was untruth, and if you clung to the truth even against the whole world, you were not mad.’
Any ethical framework must take account of the vulnerability of the human condition. This is significant in all creative endeavours – especially in artistic practice and the teaching ofit
– since the very act of creating something and putting it out into the world is an expression of vulnerability. Looking at artistic research through the lens of vulnerability allows us to explore and discuss issues that may offer new insights.
The panel aims to discuss
- The act of creativity and its accompanying vulnerabilities moving in the private & public spheres
- The vulnerability of artistic research as a process that is at the interstices of artistic practice andacademia
- Individual and institutional vulnerability and how we can understand and negotiate between these issue
- The philosophies and ideologies of vulnerability and how they relate to artistic research practice
This discussion by the participants is followed by an open discussion with the attending audience. The participants have all, in various ways experienced, worked with and researched the theme of vulnerability in their work.
Anne-Marie Creamer – artist
Tale Næss Lysestøl – playwright
Camille Jania Norment – artist
Maziar Raein – designer